Saturday 10 July 2021

My Camera and Its Settings for Bird Photography

I decide to write this post after receiving many questions from visitors to my blog on camera and its settings that I used for capturing bird photos, posted on my blog.

Camera Body

I am a Nikon user. For bird photography, I use Nikon D500 body. The reasons for it are:

1.    Crop frame or APS C – with 1.5 crop factor, Nikon D500 gives “reach” advantage for bird photographers. Reach is one of the most important factors in order to have great results in bird photography.

2.   Buffer depth – Nikon D500 has almost unlimited buffer depth which is needed in burst shooting mode for bird photography, especially for capturing bird in action and bird in flight.

3.   Speed of saving the files – I use XC-SD cards of 128GB with 150 MB/second or faster which can fit more than 3,000 shots of Medium TIFF files. With the recording speed, there is hardly any waiting for saving the files.

4.    File format – Nikon D500 includes TIFF file format, which I use for my bird photography. Although the files is much larger in size as compared to NEF or RAW files but, it is much easier to do post possessing as the file is compatible to all software.

5.    Battery life – excellent battery life up to 900 shots per fully charged on ordinary usage. Hence, I do not need to change battery for a day birding trip.

6.     Cost – Nikon D500 is priced much cheaper as compared to Nikon D850 and it is considered the cheapest in its category. 

Nikon D500 Body

Lens

I am using Nikon native lenses for my bird photography as they produce the best results at the most reasonable price. The following are lenses used;

1.    Nikon 500mm f/5.6E PF VR lens – when paired with Nikon D500 body, it gives 750mm focal length which is sufficient reach for bird photography. This combination has so far never disappointed me. The lens is sharp from f/5.6 although most of the time I use f/6.3, f/7.1 and f/8. In term of the price, this lens is much cheaper as compared to Nikon 500mm f/4. My other reason to love this lens is the size and weight, which is the smallest and lightest in its class. This means I can use both handheld and smaller tripod and more handy to carry around.


Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF VR Lens

2.    Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E VR lens – I used this lens before Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF VR lens came into the market. Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E VR is also very sharp lens made by Nikon. The price is much cheaper as compared to Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF VR lens. The drawback of this lens is heavier and is slower autofocus as compared to PF counterpart. Secondly, since it is a zoom lens, it is slower in reacting when bird suddenly appears. 


Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E VR Lens


3.    Nikon 300mm f/4E PF VR lens – I use this lens for special occasions, when the bird is near enough to be photographed, like nesting woodpeckers. This is another very sharp lens even at f/4 and then paired with Nikon D500 body it gives 450mm focal length. It is very small and light weight. Hence, it is certainly handheld-able. 

Nikon 300mm f/4E PF VR Lens





Nikon D500 paired with 500mm f/5.6 PF VR Lens


Teleconverter (TC)

I do not use any teleconverter. This is since teleconverter affects the maximum aperture which is needed for bird photography. Secondly, with 750mm focal length, it is sufficient reach for most conditions. My other consideration is it affects the results.


Tripod

For my camera and lens combination, Nikon D500 paired with Nikon 500mm f/5.6E PF VR lens, I do not need a big and heavy tripod to provide good support. I am using Benro A2682TB1 tripod with monopod. This tripod is very handy, easy to operate and most importantly, it is light weight.


Benro A2682TB1 Tripod

Gimbal Head

I am using Benro GH2 Aluminum Gimbal Head. When paired with Benro A2682TB1 Tripod, they give a perfect combination for my bird photography need.

Benro GH2 Aluminium Gimbal Head


Camera Setting

Mode – most of the time I am using Aperture Priority mode (A) for bird photography where I can set the aperture that I want, ranging from f/5.6 to f/11 depending on lighting condition and let camera calculates the shutter speed.

ISO – I do not use auto ISO. Depending on condition, my ISO setting can be from 500 to 5,000. The ISO used is also vary depending upon the type of bird and shot that I want to have, which directly affects the shutter speed.

Shutter Speed – when Aperture and ISO are set, camera automatically calculates the shutter speed. For static bird, ranging from 1/30 to 1/300. For erratic and bird in action shutter speed ranging from 1/400 to 1/2,000. And for bird in flight shutter speed more than 1/2,000. I do adjust those two parameters, Aperture and ISO from time to time depending upon lighting condition, bird behavior and the type of shots I wanted to capture.

Autofocus – most of the time, my setting is continuous single autofocus or continuous multiple area autofocus. The choice between these two depending upon the type and behavior of the birds. For static bird I use continuous single autofocus whereby continuous multiple area autofocus, d25 and d72 is used for erratic, bird in action and bird in flight. I do use back button to switch between these two autofocus modes. 

Shooting mode – I usually set my camera to Continuous High, which depending on the lighting condition can give 10 frames per second. For static bird, I do use Continuous Low mode. 

Metering mode – most of the time, my setting is multi or matrix metering.

White balance – I usually set auto-white balance

Quality or File Type – most of the time, I use TIFF medium or large file

Exposure compensation – most of the time my exposure compensation is set at 0. However, I do make adjustments when the bird is under direct sunlight or is under dark shadow.


Post Processing

Post processing – I do not do a lot of post processing works for each photo as I do not have the time and passion for it. I usually post more than 10 photos in each posting at my blog hence, a lot of time will be needed if I have to process each photo. My belief is if the photo is taken correctly, minimum post processing is required to the photo. As such, I will do my best to take correct photos to save time in post processing.

Nonetheless, post processing software is necessary for bird photography for cropping and tweaking photos to the least. Most of the time I use Nikon Picture Project, which is very old Nikon free basic software with minimum capabilities. I use this software for cropping and tweaking of selected photos. However, I also use Nikon Capture NX and Adobe Lightroom when more corrections are needed to the photos. 


Final Words

I hope the above sharing of my camera and its setting benefits other bird photographers or anyone who is interested in starting bird photography. I welcome any comment and feedback from all visitors to my blog. Please write your comments and feedback, if any, at the comment space provided below.  









No comments:

Post a Comment