Friday 24 July 2020

Red-billed Malkoha @ Taman Negara Sungai Relau, Merapoh, Pahang, Malaysia

Red-billed Malkoha (Zanclostomus javanicus) is very colorful, adorable and attractive bird among many hundreds of birds can be found at Taman Negara Sungai Relau, Merapoh, Pahang, Malaysia.  It can be found in the forest, along the road in the Taman Negara or National Park. 

Taman Negara Sungai Relau, Merapoh or Relau River National Park, Pahang is yet another popular birding place in Pahang, Malaysia. Merapoh is a small town located in Pahang-Kelantan state border, some 244 km from the capital city, Kuala Lumpur. It can be reached in approximately 3 hours by car. There is a small entrance fee and camera fee collected at the entrance to the national park. The park opens daily. The birding place located along the road of Taman Negara. 

It is certainly another wonderful birding destinations as it is a residence to many exotic birds. The main target birds in Taman Negara Sungai Relau, Merapoh include Woodpeckers, Malkohas, Hooded Pitta and Malayan Banded Pitta, Garnet Pitta, different types of Babblers, different types of Trogons and different types of Bulbul just to name a few. At the same time the national park has become a wildlife sanctuary. 















10 comments:

  1. What a magnificent tail it has! May I know what the aperture for these shots was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow..you are getting technical now Enrich Bliss. Very good! I was using F7.1 with Focal Length of 500 mm prime. This bird is very difficult to capture because it always on the move and it glides so fast.

      Delete
  2. Yes, i could see your struggle too, Encik Joe. Do you remember the Black Hornbill? What was the aperture, if you don't mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was F8, because it was very bright morning sun Enrich Bliss. Lucky the black hornbill color is only black and white!

      Delete
    2. Not much different on the aperture. But I think these shots are better even though both has same background.

      I saw your previous posting of OWL, which you captured between the branches also. But they can be seen clearly as well.

      Delete
    3. You are right Enrich Bliss. My lens maximum aperture is 5.6 so the best aperture for the lens I usually use from F6.3 to F8, unless the lighting is extreme.

      Delete
    4. I must admit that it's quite challenging taking shots in between branches.

      What about using F3.2 or F4.5? Do you think it will yield better shot?

      I never experienced any wildlife photography before. I'm not so handy. If I were to carry your telephoto lens with my current weight, I guess I might fall down hehehehe

      Delete
    5. No, I cannot use that F number. The maximum F number depends on the lens. Mine is F5.6. For a super telephoto lens F4 is the maximum but the lens is very heavy and huge.

      Delete
  3. Yeah.. understood the hurdles of the heaviness and the bulkiness of your lens. Anyway all the best to you, Encik Joe. I enjoy every photo you captured. Some really melt my heart away every time I see their cuteness while they are posing for you. Such an entertaining moment for me. Thank you very much for sharing your great artwork here with us. We appreciate your efforts very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your very frequent visit and kind words Enrich Bliss. You words have been very encouraging for me to continue this journey. Really appreciate it.

      Delete